CLIMATE CHANGE POLICY
We believe that the predicted results of anthropogenic climate change caused by increased greenhouse gases in the atmosphere pose a significant threat to our ecosystems and the environment generally – threatening both biodiversity and sustainability.
We are accordingly committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions generated by our business as much as possible and have adopted a policy of actively reducing these emissions.
Our greatest contribution to greenhouse gases arises from our transport operations, with food packaging and power contributing to lesser amounts.
To mitigate the effects of our emissions, we have adopted the following practices/initiatives:
- we have installed 20 PV Solar Panels on the cabins (feeding back into the grid)
- we combine passenger groups wherever possible on all journeys to decrease the per passenger emissions arising from our transport activities
- we select the most economical vehicle to use for any transport booking based on the number of passengers
- we coordinate vehicle transfers with our drivers to reduce unnecessary vehicle use
- we have replaced all possible incandescent light globes with low emission CFLs
- we encourage our clients to minimise their use of heating and electricity generally
- we only use cold water in our front-loading washing machines and operate these on the most economical cycle
- we always use the clothes line to dry our bed-linen and hiking gear after washing, and discourage clients from using our clothes dryers
- we are obsessive about turning off all lights and appliances when not in use (including refrigerators and HWS)
- we supply multi-serve ration packs for our tour clients and reduce other packaging where possible
- we recycle all possible items and provide recycle bins for clients' use at our cabins
- we compost all possible kitchen waste (as well as toilet waste) and provide bins in our cabins for clients' use
- we have planted over 100 trees and shrubs to help remediate damaged areas at BCT and sequester carbon
- we only harvest a small volume of timber each year from BCT - less than allowed under our Covenanted Management Plan
- we recycle our printer cartridges and print on both sides of our office stationery
- we no longer print brochures – all our brochures are now available for download online on demand
- we buy in bulk where feasible to reduce packing waste
As a result of our efforts, we have already:
- increased the ratio of passengers to journeys in our transport operations by 5%
- reduced non-recyclable rubbish going into landfill by over 80%
- reduced electricity consumption by over 72%
Other complementary initiatives we have taken which align with or support our mitigation efforts are:
- we have protected BCT with a legally binding conservation covenant (PAPL – Protected Areas on Private Land) preserving its biodiversity and environmental values forever, and as a result sequestering ever increasing amounts of carbon
- we donate $0.10 per litre of our fuel purchases to Greening Australia in support of their Biodiverse Carbon Restoration Projects in Tasmania to mitigate the effects of carbon emissions arising from our transport services.
- we are members of the following programs/organisations helping to support and conserve Tasmania's biodiversity:
- Wildcare Tasmania
- Tasmanian Conservation Trust
- Land for Wildlife
- Tasmanian National Parks Association
- Landcare Tasmania
- Conservation Landholders Tasmania
Our Climate Change Policy is also available as a PDF which can be
downloaded here .